10.10.14

Korean traditional archery

I started to practice Korean traditional archery.  It is different from western style.
The bow itself, is very recurved, and when it's unstrung, it's like C shape.  It also has no arrow rest, no sight to help aiming. 
Also, archers use a thumb ring, called "gakkji" to shoot arrows.   
You shoot arrows instinctively.  You do not aim.  It's like playing the golf, or basket ball.  You look at the target, and shoot.  Everything is muscle memories, which means it needs a lot of practice.
Korean bow is known for the small size, but powerful, fast, and shoot really far.  Normally, people practice shooting at targets that 145m away.
I can not find targets that far where I live, so I will be practicing 15, 20, 35, 45, and maybe 60 yards. 
I need to practice my form, at least a few month, and I might able to shoot at the same area of a target in 20-25 yards.....I don't know, maybe 6 month later?
I will try to shoot as much as I can, so I get better and better. 







No comments:

Post a Comment